My Tax Account TRIPAbout | Getting Started | How-to Videos | Using My Tax Account | Wage Attachment Payments | TRIP | Troubleshooting
The Tax Refund Intercept Program (TRIP) allows government agencies to submit debts to the Department of Revenue (DOR) for refund interception. For program information, go to revenue.wi.gov/ise/trip/index.html.
- Register for a TRIP Account
1.1. Register for My Tax Account
1.2. Third party collection agency access
- Using The TRIP Account
2.1. Add a New Debt
2.2. Update a Debt
2.3. Review Debt Transaction Details
2.4. Upload a Debt File
2.5. TRIP Inquiry
- Review Reports and Notices
3.1. Agency Summary Report
3.2. Posting Notification
3.3. File Maintenance Response
3.4. Close Debt File
- Register for a TRIP Account
- If you are not already using My Tax Account, go to tap.revenue.wi.gov and click on the the Getting Started link shown above. Follow the instruction for Business Employee.
- After you register, contact us at (608) 264-0344 or firstname.lastname@example.org to add access to your TRIP account.
- Access My Tax Account: Click on the Getting Started link above and follow the directions for Third Party Preparer.
- Add Access to a TRIP Account: Contact us at (608) 264-0344 or email@example.com to add access to your TRIP account. A letter will be mailed to you as a notification of the third party collection agency's access request.
- Using the TRIP Account
Access your TRIP Account by clicking on your TRIP Agency Account ID number. You may then Add New Debt, Change Existing Debt, request a Debt Summary, Upload New Debt File, send a TRIP Inquiry, request an Agency Summary, View Requests, and View Notices.
- Select Add New Debt under "I WANT TO..." at the upper right of the TRIP account page.
- Enter the ID Type and Number, such as social security number (SSN), driver's license number (DLN), or federal employer identification number (FEIN).
- If the debtor is a business, enter the name of the organization. If the debtor is an individual, enter their last and first name.
- Enter your agency internal number (AIN) or unique number that is not an SSN, assigned by your agency to the debtor. This field is optional.
- Enter the current balance.
If there is an error the field will appear as red. Hover your cursor over the field to receive an explanation of the error.
Note: You must update the debt balance if the debtor remits a payment to your agency. Submit a request to Change Existing Debt to report a new balance.
- Select Change Existing Debt under "I WANT TO..." at the upper right of the TRIP account page.
- Enter the ID Type and ID number that correspond to the originally submitted debt. Use the same ID Type and ID number you used when adding the new debt. For example if you added the debt using the driver license number (DLN), your change request must use the DLN.
- Select the debt you want to change from the list displayed. You may only select one debt at a time.
- The debt number, name, and current balance are displayed. Enter the new balance and click Continue.
Note: You may increase a debt balance once every 30 days to accommodate for interest adjustments. You may decrease a debt balance multiple times per month to reflect payments or credits.
- Select View Debt Summary under "I WANT TO..." at the upper right of the TRIP account page.
- Enter the ID type and ID number that corresponds to the originally submitted debt. Use the same ID Type and ID number you used when adding the new debt. For example if you added the debt using the DLN, your Debt Summary request must use the DLN.
- The following details will display:
- Posted Date - The date a transaction is applied to the debt selected.
- Change Applied - The change in balance, either up or down, depending on the transaction. For example, if the debt balance is $500 and you submit a balance change to $300, the Change Applied is $200.
- Balance Due - The balance of the debt after a change is posted. The last row on this report would reflect the current balance.
- Source - The following are sources of a transaction:
- Initial: original debt submission
- Agency Adjusted: a change submitted by the agency
- DOR Adjusted: a change submitted by DOR
- Refund: a refund intercepted and applied to a debt by DOR
- Lottery: a Lottery payment intercepted and applied to a debt by DOR. Note: Intercepted lottery proceeds may only offset state agency debts.
- Vendor: a State vendor payment intercepted and applied to a debt by DOR. Note: State vendor proceeds may only offset state agency and local government debts.
Debt files that contain 250 debtor transactions or less:
- Select Upload New File under "I WANT TO..." at the upper right of the TRIP account page.
- Click the Add for Attachments link located on the left panel.
- Enter a short file description.
- Use the Browse button to locate your file and click Save.
- Submit the file by selecting YES on the final screen. A confirmation number is provided when the transaction is complete.
Debt files that contain over 250 transactions:
- Call (608) 264-0344 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to create your Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) folder.
- Establish a secure connection to DOR through SFTP. Go to revenue.wi.gov/ise/trip/sftpInstructions.pdf for instructions.
TRIP Inquiry is a tool that allows you to communicate with DOR in a safe and secure manner. Like email, you enter a subject line, attach documents, enter comments in a text box, and submit.
If you have questions related to a specific debtor, you may include in your inquiry debtor details, such as complete SSN and name, and know the data is secure.
We will respond after researching your question. Responses to inquiries go in your notices. A history of communications is stored in My Tax Account for future reference.
Use TRIP Inquiry to contact us for assistance in resolving debt mismatch issues.
Note: For security purposes, do not send confidential debtor information through regular email.
- Review Reports and Notices
The Agency Summary report is a listing of all active debtors for your agency.
- Select Request Agency Summary under "I WANT TO..." at the upper right of the TRIP account page.
- Select a summary report for one agency or, if you represent multiple agencies, all your TRIP agencies.
- Select the file type and Submit.
- Click Notices. The report request will be available within a few minutes. The subject line will identify the report type.
Note: If you use Internet Explorer, you cannot save this file directly to your directory. To save, open the file, and from the File menu select Save As.
DOR will produce a weekly payment report called Posting Notification. This report tells you the debtor, the debt number, and amount received. The report is available every Wednesday for agencies with payments. The report will be sent according to your agency profile (SFTP folder or My Tax Account - TRIP Notices).
The proceeds will transfer based on your funds transfer profile. State agencies that use WISMART (state agency accounting system) will see a transfer of funds by Thursday in their WISMART account. Other agencies will receive their funds by direct deposit to their bank account by Monday. The timing can change when there is a holiday.
When a File Maintenance transaction file is received by the department, a response file is generated.
- The File Maintenance Response is available the next business day after a File Maintenance transaction file is uploaded.
- The response file will indicate if a debt was accepted or rejected.
- If a debt is rejected, DOR will provide a reason code. The report will be delivered according to your agency profile (SFTP folder or My Tax Account - TRIP Notices).
The Close Debt File lists debts that have been closed for intercept.
- Debts will be closed for intercept when the balance is less than $20.00.
- Debts will be closed for intercept when DOR has determined the SSN to be a mismatch after accepting the original transaction.
The report will be delivered on the first Tuesday of each month based on your agency profile (SFTP folder or My Tax Account - TRIP Notices).
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
Agency Setoff Coordinator
Mail Stop 4-010
PO Box 8901
Madison, WI 53708-8901
Phone: (608) 264-0344
Fax: (608) 261-6226
January 2, 2015
Updates were made to the code or formatting on this page as of January 21, 2015. This date does not reflect the effective date or any other date relating to the content of this page.