DOR Encouraging Employers to E-File W-2s
DOR e-file mandate is 50 W-2s or more
The Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) is encouraging employers to electronically file their W-2s. E-filing is quick and easy, as well as a secure and confidential way to transfer data.
Employers who file 50 or more Forms W-2 and 1099 are required by law to e-file these forms. Medium and larger employers can send DOR the W-2 file that they send to the Social Security Administration, and smaller employers can use Wisconsin's easy to use My Tax Account (MTA), which is our free online business tax file and pay application.
Currently, there are over 38,000 employers who have access to MTA who are filing paper W-2s.
How to e-file Forms W-2:
- Use My Tax Account (MTA) – DOR's free online application
- If you are not registered, go to the MTA login screen at tap.revenue.wi.gov and select "Register." Click on Getting Started for step-by-step instructions.
- If you are registered, login at tap.revenue.wi.gov, then click the Withholding ID number.
- Select the WT-7 Reconciliation tab and click file WT-7 (you must e-file your Form WT-7 and W-2s at the same time).
- Check the My Tax Account box, and then select Add/Delete W-2s.
- Upload your Social Security Administration PDF files or DOR EFW2 text files to our website.
Employers may contact us with any questions or concerns by calling our customer service line dedicated to business inquiries at (608) 266-2772.
Page last updated January 18, 2013