Donations on 2008 Tax Returns
The Wisconsin income tax forms provide opportunities for taxpayers to contribute to various causes. Tax practitioners play an important role in the success of these programs by making taxpayers aware of the opportunity to contribute to them.
Following is a list of the various programs to which taxpayers may donate on their 2008 Wisconsin income tax forms.
- State Election Campaign Fund Taxpayers may designate $1 to be donated to this fund to be used by certified candidates for public office. If married, each spouse may designate $1 for the fund. A donation to this fund does not increase the taxpayer's tax liability.
Donations to the following will either reduce the taxpayer's refund or increase the tax due.
- Endangered Resources The Endangered Resources Program works to protect and manage native plant and animal species, natural communities, and other natural features. All donations are matched by state dollars up to $500,000, making all donations twice as important. Donations are used by the Bureau of Endangered Resources of the Department of Natural Resources.
- Packers Football Stadium A Packer football stadium donation will be used for maintenance and operating costs of the professional football stadium in Green Bay.
- Breast Cancer Research Breast cancer research donations are divided equally between the Medical College of Wisconsin, Inc., and the University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center for breast cancer research projects.
- Veterans Trust Fund Donations to the Veterans Trust Fund are used by the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs for the benefit of veterans or their dependents.
- Multiple Sclerosis Donations are forwarded to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society to distribute to entities located in Wisconsin that operate health-related programs for people in Wisconsin with multiple sclerosis.
- Firefighters Memorial Donations are forwarded to the Wisconsin State Firefighters Memorial, Inc., to be used towards a firefighters' memorial.
- Prostate Cancer Research Donations to prostate cancer research are divided equally between the Medical College of Wisconsin, Inc., and the University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center for prostate cancer research projects.
Last updated February 12, 2009