Electronic filing (e-filing) Manufacturing M-Forms
The Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) recommends you e-file your M-Forms and extension requests.
- E-filing through the secure manufacturing assessment system allows you to electronically prepare, save, file, view and print returns
- Only you or your authorized user(s) have access to your information online
- Once you finish e-filing, you get immediate confirmation that DOR received your return or request
Due Date - March 3, 2014:
- You must file your M-Form or an extension request on or before March 3, 2014 with the DOR Manufacturing & Utility Bureau District Office responsible for the location of your manufacturing property
- If you mail your return or extension request, it must be postmarked on or before March 3, 2014. DOR will deny a request if it's postmarked after March 3, 2014.
Get Started – Register to e-file
To e-file, you need a Wisconsin User ID through the Web Access Management System (WAMS).
- Register for a WAMS User ID
Note: You will use this ID to file or amend your returns, or inquire about your account.
- Complete the electronic authorization request form
Note: You will need your WAMS User ID from Step #1.
- Fax your signed authorization request form (completed in Step #2) to the district office in your area
- Once you receive a confirmation email, you may begin filing. To file M-Forms online, your internet browser should:
- Be Firefox 1.5, Internet Explorer 6.0 or Netscape 7.0 and higher
- Support Secure Sockets Layer 128 bit encryption
File Your Form– Sign into WAMS
- M-L Form: Leased, Rented, or Loaned Personal Property Return
- M-P Form: Manufacturing Personal Property Return
- M-R Form: Manufacturing Real Estate Return
- DOR must receive your extension request on or before March 3, 2014
- If you mail your extension request, it must be postmarked on or before March 3, 2014. DOR will deny a request if it's postmarked after March 3, 2014.
Method of Extension Request
- Online Request – (authorized e-file users)
- Using your WAMS ID, login to the M-Forms manufacturing assessment system
- Click the "State ID #" associated with the account
- On the "Account History" page, click "Request Extension" (Filing History Section)
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for every account you are requesting an extension
- Email or Fax your extension request to the district office in your area
To verify delivery, choose email delivery receipt confirmation (sender option) or fax transmission confirmation report.
- Written Requests – Send your extension request in writing (not by telephone) to the district office in your area, with the heading "Attn: Extensions"
- For proof you mailed your request, we recommend you get a USPS certificate of mailing
Note: For Manufacturing real and personal property, you must also:
- Identify each manufacturing personal property account requesting a filing extension by either its 9 digit account number (ex: 000099999) or its full state identification number (ex: 76 13 251 P 000099999)
- If you are filing extension requests for multiple owners, you must submit a separate request for each owner identifying every account requesting an extension
Extension Filing Deadline
If you are granted an extension, state law allows one filing extension to April 1, 2014. DOR must receive your extension request on or before March 3, 2014. For more information, see "Request an Extension" above.
Late Filing Penalty
If you do not file your M-Form or file it late, you will receive a non-filing penalty and lose the right to appeal your assessment. See Late filing fee.
Amend Your Form– Sign into WAMS
- M-L Form: Leased, rented, or loaned personal property return
- M-P Form: Manufacturing personal property return
- M-R Form: Manufacturing real estate return
For more information or if you have trouble e-filing your M-Form, contact the DOR Manufacturing & Utility District Office in your area.
February 11, 2014
Updates were made to the code or formatting on this page as of October 21, 2014. This date does not reflect the effective date or any other date relating to the content of this page.