Multijurisdictional Tax Incremental Finance (TIF)
Base Year Packet
To create a Tax Incremental District (TID) you must submit a completed base year packet to the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR). We use the submitted information to establish your district's base value and to verify you followed proper legal procedures.
- For a multijurisdictional TID you must provide all the required regular TID information, plus the following:
- Document identifying the TID type once the lead municipality submits the 60-day notice to DOR
- Copy of the Intergovernmental Cooperation Agreement with the provisions outlined in state law (sec. 66.1105(18)(b), Wis. Stats.), that includes the following:
- Description of how all the participating cities will exercise their authorized powers and meet requirements
- Description of how the TID will make determinations relating to debt, expending funds, and distributing tax increments allocated by DOR
- Document showing which city is authorized to act on behalf of all of the participating cities on some or all TID related matters
- Binding dispute resolution procedure the cities will use to resolve (in a timely fashion) any disputes between the participating cities related to the agreement or to the district.
- Description of the proposed Joint Review Board (JRB) membership
- Description of each city's planning commission responsibilities, membership authority and the operating procedures it will follow
- Description of the responsibilities of each city's clerk, treasurer, assessor, and any other officer or official to carry out the requirements of this section
- Which city will be the lead city for completing any documents or tasks that this section or DOR requires
- Participating cities agree they will submit the TID application as one complete application to DOR
- Document stating the entire TID will terminate at one time and that the lead city will submit all necessary notices and reports to DOR
- Description of procedures the participating cities will follow to determine:
- Whether the TID's life can be extended
- How the project plan or boundaries of the TID can be amended
- Description of how any annexation costs incurred by a participating city will be shared among all of the participating cities
- Required forms for each participating municipality
- Document identifying the JRB membership - showing who each member represents and how he or she voted
- Any additional resolutions required for overlapping boundaries
- If you create a TID after October 1, you must complete and submit the packet forms to DOR on or before October 31 of the following year based on the creation date
- DOR does not start the process of certifying base values until after January 1 of the year following creation
- Tax Incremental Financing Remittance Fee – After you notify DOR that your city/village created a TID, we will send you a bill through "My Tax Account"
Completing the packet
It is essential that you accurately complete the forms, since mistakes could mean your TID does not get certified. Use consistent identification numbers on the forms and required maps.
|Checklists – follow when completing the packet|
|PE-109||TID Base Year Packet Checklist – lists the forms you need to complete|
|PE-222||TID Creation Resolution Checklist – identifies information the local government body must provide in their resolution|
|Forms – complete with valuation information for the property within the TID|
|Excel Format||This Excel workbook contains all of the necessary forms. For best results, open the workbook, save it to your computer and then complete the forms.|
|PE-207||Guide to Wisconsin's Tax Increment Law - Creating a District|
|PE-212||An Intergovernmental/Private Partnership|
|PE-213||Joint Review Board Information|
|PE-215||Common Language Guidelines for Project Plans|
|66.1105(18)||Tax Increment Law (Multijurisdictional reference)|
To send your completed forms by email, click the Attach Documents button.
Note: This opens an email to attach the files.
Complete and return the appropriate forms to:
Wisconsin Department of Revenue
Attn: Office of Technical and Assessment Services
PO Box 8971, MS 6-97
Madison, WI 53708-8971
Phone (608) 266-5708
Fax (608) 264-6897
Email additional questions to email@example.com
Page last updated July 3, 2014