My Tax Account Troubleshooting
- Logon ID and Password
1.1. Forgot Password?
1.2. Forgot MTA Logon ID?
1.3. Don't Remember your Secret Question?
1.4. Update your Email Address
Step 1 Errors
2.1. Logon ID/Password Errors
2.2. Email Address Already in Use?
Step 2 Errors
2.3. Business Owners and Employees
2.4. Third Party Preparers
2.5. Foreign Zip Codes
Step 3 Errors
2.6. Line 2A (Total Tax Due from prior Return/Deposit Reports) Error
2.7. Line 2B (Letter Identification Number) Error
2.8. No Authorization Code Email?
- System and Printing
3.1. Cannot Print Voucher or Return
3.2. Logged Out
3.3. Attachment Issues
3.4. Small Font Size
- Filing, Paying and Account Access
4.1. Filing Issues
4.2. Filing Periods that Require Attention
4.3. Payment Source Issues
4.4. Access Issues
4.4.1. Business Tax Accounts Not Listed?
4.4.2. Manage Logons
4.4.3. Transfer a Logon ID
4.5. My Tax Account Not Available
LOGON ID AND PASSWORD
If you are a current user and have forgotten your password, click Forgot your password? on the login page. You must enter your logon ID and answer your secret question to create a new password.
You will be emailed an authorization code to use the next time you log in to My Tax Account. If you no longer have access to the email address in your profile, contact us at (608) 261-5338.
If you are a current user and have forgotten your logon ID, click Forgot your logon id? on the login page. You must enter your email address and answer your secret question to retrieve your logon ID.
Your logon ID will be sent to your email address. If you no longer have access to the email address in your profile, contact us at (608) 261-5338.
If you don't know your logon information and have forgotten your secret question, please contact us at (608) 261-5338.
If you know your logon ID and password, log in to My Tax Account to update your secret question. Click View my Profile on the homepage, then Update Profile and edit your secret question.
To update your email address, log in to My Tax Account. Click View my Profile on the homepage, then Update Profile and enter the correct email address.
Make sure your logon ID and password are unique.
- Your logon ID must be between 5-20 characters.
- Your password must be between 7-20 characters and must contain a combination of letters and numbers.
- Passwords are case sensitive and cannot contain your logon ID.
If your email address is already in use, you should stop the registration process and complete Account Recovery, which is available by clicking Forgot your Logon? and/or Forgot your Password? on the My Tax Account login page. This will provide you access to your original account information.
If you are unable to complete Account Recovery, please contact us at (608) 261-5338 or complete your registration with an alternative email address.
Note: If you need to access multiple businesses, you may log in to My Tax Account and request third party access to the additional businesses. This will allow to you to use one logon ID and email address for multiple businesses. Alternatively, you can create a logon ID for each business, but each logon ID must have a unique email address.
The information requested should be entered as it is listed on the Business Tax Registration (BTR) Certificate. Please refer to your BTR Certificate.
You should enter your accounting firm's information. If you are an independent accountant, enter your personal information. If you are not registered with the Department of Revenue (DOR), please contact us for assistance with registration.
If you have a foreign address, please enter "00000" as your zip code.
Note: In Step 3: Adding Access to an Account, you must complete either line 2A or 2B.
If you have a filing history for the tax account type you've selected, you must enter an amount for 2A. The amount should be from one of the three most recently filed returns/reports for the tax type selected.
- Sales and Use Tax returns: Line 30
- Local Exposition returns: Line 9
- Premier Resort returns: Line 4
- Rental Vehicle returns: Line 7
- Withheld amount for WT-6 Withholding Tax Deposit reports
- Withheld amount for WT-7 Withholding Annual Reconciliation
- Corporation Tax: Return or Estimated payment amount
- Composite Return for Nonresident S-Corp Shareholders: Line 10
- Composite Return for Nonresident Partners: Line 10
- Partnership Tax: Return or Estimated payment amount
- Excise (Motor Fuel & Beverage): Refund or Tax Amount Due reported
- Excise (Tobacco): Payment amount
- Pass Through Withholding: Line 11
- Wage Attachment: Information from Employee Order
If you do not have a filing history for the tax account type you've selected, you must enter a Letter Id for 2B. Letter Ids from the following department letters may be used:
- Business Tax Registration Greeting Letter
- E-Filing Requirement Letter
- Tax Incremental District (TID) Fees Letter
- Wage Attachment Certification Letter
Some Internet Service Providers and spam filters may stop delivery of your confirmation email. Please verify that your email security settings did not block your confirmation email by checking your account's Junk Mail.
As an alternative, you can click on Forgot Your Password? and complete the steps to receive a new authorization code email.
If you are unable to recover your authorization code email, please contact us at (608) 261-5338.
SYSTEM AND PRINTING
When viewing the documents in View Mail or the Printable Versions of returns and reports, a PDF file will be created in a separate window. Try the steps below to fix the most common viewing and printing issues:
- Check that Adobe Acrobat Reader is installed on your computer. If not, download now.
- Your Adobe Reader program may already be open in another tab or minimized on the bottom of your screen. If so, click on the minimized Adobe document.
- Temporarily disable your web browser's pop-up blocker settings. Hold down the CTRL key while clicking on the document. Keep holding the CTRL key until the window pops up and the PDF file fills in.
- Alternatively, you can also completely disable your pop-up blocker settings. In your browser, click on Tools (located towards the top left or top right of most browsers), then select Pop-Up Blocker and click on Turn off Pop-Up Blocker.
If you are inactive for 15 minutes while working in My Tax Account, you will be logged out. Any unsaved information will be lost.
If you are experiencing problems attaching a file, please make sure your file complies with the following specifications:
- Attachments can be no larger than 30MB. This would include multiple or a single attachment sized 30MB. A PDF attachment is preferable since this is a compressed format.
- The following formats are acceptable for attachment: PDF, TIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, XLS, DOC, TXT, and ZIP (only for a few applications).
To enlarge the font in My Tax Account:
- Hold down the CTRL key and scroll up with your mouse, or
- Use your browser to adjust the text size.
FILING, PAYING AND ACCOUNT ACCESS
To verify that you have submitted a return or payment request, select the Requests tab on the account summary page. All of the return or payment requests that have been submitted in the last 365 days are available, including pending, processed and withdrawn requests.
On the account summary page, you may also check the status next to the filing period:
Outstanding: All unfiled filing periods are outstanding. If it is appropriate for you to file, complete and submit the return.
Overdue: File the return as soon as possible.
Not Filed: This return has been saved and not yet submitted. Open the return and click Change. You will be prompted to go through the return to update any required fields and submit the return.
Processed: The return has been received and processed by DOR.
Multiple Returns: Multiple returns have been received and processed by DOR for this filing period.
On your account summary page, look in the Attention column on the far right for messages about filing periods that need action.
To add a default payment source to a tax account:
- Click View My Profile and the Account Payment Sources tab. Use Setup for each account.
To add a payment source for a business/customer:
- Click View My Profile and the Advanced Payment Options tab. Use Add New for each business/customer.
To change a source, click the payment source name (e.g. MAIN STREET BANK - 0123) and select Change or Delete.
To add a shared payment source, click View My Profile, and the Shared Payments Options tab. Click add a shared payment source. These bank accounts may be used for all of your third party accounts.
Note: If the bank account used to make your electronic payment is funded by a transfer from a financial institution outside of the United States, DOR will not be able to accept your request to make an electronic payment (direct debit). You will need to make other arrangements in order to submit your payment.
If you are logged in to My Tax Account and you do not have access to a list of your tax accounts on your homepage, you will need to add those accounts. Click on Add Access to an Account on the left panel and select Business Tax Accounts. Enter the required information and submit. The tax accounts will be immediately listed on your homepage.
If you are a third party preparer and you do not have access to your clients accounts, click on Add Third Party Account Access on the left panel. If you select the first option: Client is registered for My Tax Account, you will have to submit your request and wait for your client to approve the access request. If you select the second option: Client is NOT registered for My Tax Account, you will have to insert the required information and the tax accounts will be immediately listed on your homepage.
Each user has access to this function. Click on View My Profile and select Manage Logons. You may change the access for specific tax accounts.
The user with the 'Master' access level can also manage the access of all other users and approve third party access requests.
If you need to transfer your logon ID and change the business that you have associated to, contact us at (608) 261-5338.
My Tax Account is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but may be unavailable during periods of routine maintenance. Scheduled outage times are Tuesday through Friday, between 5:30 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. CST. Other times are the second Sunday of each month from 5:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (noon).
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
Customer Service Bureau
Mail Stop 5-77
PO Box 8949
Madison, WI 53708-8949
Phone: (608) 261-5338
Fax: (608) 267-1030
Page last updated December 13, 2013